Tuesday, April 19, 2011

AufderHeide Flying Service & the New Blog!

AufderHeide Flying Service was started over 50 years ago by my wonderful Papa, Cal AufderHeide. My sweet daddy, Mark, who recently passed away from cancer, also joined the family biz right out of college in the 70's and flew all the way up until last fall. He was the best crop-duster around and we sure do miss him, but more on that later...


My daddy and momma Margo had three children: Matthew, me, and Alexis. Matthew and I were encouraged/lovingly forced to work at the flying in our early teens on up. Alexis, fortunately for her, is a genius and gets to spend her summers sleeping in and reading. She is currently a freshman on scholarship at UofA... Any who, after a somewhat lengthy stint in college, Matthew also returned to the biz with his sights sets on crop-dusting. He went to commercial pilot school in Louisiana, passed all his test and a few summers ago began flying.



I didn't exactly follow in my brother's footsteps. After graduating with a degree in Public Relations and a minor Ag Business, I was blessed to get a job working for Congressman Marion Berry as a Community Development Liaison. I really believe I had one of the best jobs ever. I had an amazing boss who truly cared about his staff and constituents and coworkers that were supportive, encouraging, and extremely funny! Unfortunately for me and the entire First Congressional District of Arkansas, my boss decided to retire and on January 3rd of 2011 I was unemployed. I'm currently looking for a job in Little Rock and for the time being I'm living in DeWitt during the week and running the flying service!



I'm starting this blog (with Matthew's encouragement) for several reasons a)Help me brush up on my writing skills, which have become somewhat lax b)Document all the amazing/entertaining/interesting things that go on daily at AufderHeide Flying Service c)Allow others (very few others, I'm sure) to enjoy our pictures and stories and to get a better feel about daily life at an airport! Hope you enjoy!




(P.S. Just for full disclosure, I'm sure there will be many misspellings, typos, etc... I apologize in advance)

3 comments:

  1. This is going to be great!! I'm so excited.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm excited too!! I hope there are still great crazy stories circulating at the flying service!! - Lana

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need an AFS hat!! I live in Austin TX but was visiting friends this past weekend in AR and saw this 12 y/o kid with a hat. What I remember was a picture of a crop duster and somebodies Flying Service - Dewitt AR. Could it be AFS?

    I've been a pilot for 20 years and his hat just had a simple nostalgic look about it that I just had to have it. The kid refused all offers. He said it was his fishing hat so no joy.

    I usually forget about this kind of thing but I spent some time after work today on the Google and found you.

    ReplyDelete