Tuesday, June 28, 2011

By the Hair of his Chinny Chin Chin


Matthew's chin hair and my thumb (obviously I'm not a professional)

Thank goodness Matthew got lazy over the weekend and forgot to shave his face, because it was just by the hair of his chinny chin chin that he made it back to the airport safely before the big storm came in this morning.  For the record, I do not approve of this facial hair but I guess I'll let it slide today...

According to my weather.com app at 4:30 this morning (when I left Little Rock) there was only a 30% chance of rain today.  When I got to the office around 6ish it said only 20%, which really depressed us all because we've been needing a rain badly for awhile.  The entire state has pretty much needed a good rain.

Thankfully around 8:30 the skies began to darken and we began checking the radar for possible showers.  The rain was just in Clarendon so we decided to keep on keepin' on with our fertilizer.  However, the storm was approaching faster than we anticipated and while Matthew was putting out a load the skies grew darker, the wind blew faster, and you could see the beautiful blustery front moving towards the airport.  (picture below) 
I called Matthew and told him he should probably get back to the home base as soon as possible.  He had a few more passes then said he would be back.  The wind picked up to what G.W. said was about 30mph and I held my breath until I saw Matthew land.  Thankfully the wind was straight out of the north and Matthew didn't have to land in a 30mph cross wind.  He made a smooth landing and drove his sweet yellow bird into the hangar, right as the liquid sunshine began pouring from the sky.  Whew.  Rain, finally!  Beautiful, blissful rain!  Below are a few pics that Cupcake took from the air right as the storm was moving in to DeWitt.

The guys are now grounded for the morning.  They have already been out to grab a "pilot's breakfast" (whatever that means) at the Catfish Shack and now are back in my office bugging me.  Their current conversation is plotting a yearly airport calendar equivalent to the yearly hot-body firemen calendars.  So far we have thrown out the titles of "Air Tractors & Six Packs" and "Soft Landings, Hard Bodies"  Hahaha!  Ladies don't you want to pre-order yours already?!?!  I'll be sure to keep you abreast of all the juicy details and if you see the guys around town be sure and tell them you're all for it!

1 comment: