Monday, May 9, 2011

Good Ol' Fashioned Airport Nap



Check out this photo... Doesn't it just scream peace, tranquility and comfort??? Does the ambiance of the glowing sunlight mixed with the aroma of jet fuel and the hum of the 1995 window unit make your eyes grow heavy?? And how about those couches, don't you just want to crawl on them and read a book??

Your probably thinking to yourself that you don't agree with any of this. It all sounds terrible and I'm just crazy person... But really the airport "lounge" is a perfect place for epic naps!!!

It's not very often that the naps occur but on a rainy days or a late Saturday afternoons one can usually slip one in... Just like I did last weekend!...
The conditions were perfect. It was about 1pm and I Cupcake and I had just eaten lunch that I ordered from Traylor's. Matthew and Shawn were working from the home base but had just left to go work at a strip for about the next 4 hours. My belly was full, my computer was useless, and the couch was calling my name. There was a perfectly good wind so I opened the doors and let the breeze fly through. I started reading Jimmy Buffett's "A Pirate Looks at Fifty" (there's only dude books around the airport) and although that is some pretty intense reading, after about 30 minutes the lull of tools and metal jingling by the breeze in the hangar lulled me to sleep. Ahhhh, nature at its finest!


You may laugh, but that was the best nap that I've had in a looong time! When I woke up I had to re-check with myself exactly where I was and after my head came to, it took about 15 seconds for my circulatory/nervous system to kick in before I could move my body. I had been so knocked out you would have thought Cassius Clay did the honors himself! It was fabulous and after getting up at 5am every day, it was well deserved....

Now the only unpleasant part about airport naps, and it's just a slight downer sometimes, is the couches... They are plenty wide, plenty long, and plenty comfy.... But they are made out of a little material some like to call vinyl... While vinyl is strong and easy to clean (that's probably while they've been here longer than my life span) it's not the most ideal fabric for warm Saturday afternoon naps... Especially if you have on shorts and a tshirt and sleep face down! As you can imagine after a two hour nap, when I finally regained feeling in my limbs, I had to slowly and painfully pull my sticky, sweaty skin off the hot fabric... Yowzers!

I guess with beauty (in my case beauty sleep) there always comes a little pain. However, I think slight discomfort is totally worth it and would highly recommend a good ol' fashioned airport nap any day of the week!!!

(Side note: Most farmers don't usually call or come by on a Saturday afternoon so I didn't really feel guilty about my napping on a perfect flying day. Plus, the phone was by my head at all times just in case we were needed... And if you did stop by and I was totally incapacitated, I certainly apologize!)

No comments:

Post a Comment